Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Year the TENTH: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Quarantine due to travel (Update #46)

I hear it's Wednesday. Oops. I suppose that means I'm running behind but it doesn't seem to matter too much. Anyway, let's get going. We all know why we're here, right? Good.


FOs (Finished Objects)
1.
Greenwood Fiberworks Dark BFL (Viktor): started 28 June 2020; finished 17 January 2021
2. Boo-Yah: started 26 January 2021; finished 27 January 2021
3.
Minecraft Socks: started 12 August 2020; finished 6 March 2021
4.
Alpaca (Viktor): started 17 January 2021; finished 17 March 2021
5. Dyeing Project: started 9 April, 2021; finished 9 April 2021
6.
El Panal Cowl: started 5 April 2021; finished 29 April 2021
7.
Rose City Rollers: started 7 March 2021; finished 1 June 2021
8. Unknown Wool (Viktor): started 26 June 2021; finished 27 June 2021
9. Abstract Fibers Merino Tencel (Viktor): started 27 June 2021; finished 29 June 2021
10. Frabjous Fibers Merino Top (Viktor): started 30 June 2021; finished 2 July 2021
11. Allons-y Fiber Arts Merino (Viktor): started 4 July 2021; finished 7 July 2021
12.
Rose City Rollers: started 1 June 2021; finished 12 August 2021
13.
Flax for Stormageddon: started 29 April 2021; finished 31 August 2021
14.
Waiting for Winter Mittens: started 11 September 2021; finished 21 September 2021
15.
Waiting for Winter Mittens for Stormageddon: started 25 September 2021; finished 28 September 2021
16.
Rose City Zombies: started 13 August 2021; finished 21 October 2021

Nope. Sorry. Keep 'er moovin'.

 

 

WIPs (Works-in-Progress) *these are carried over year after year, as needed*
1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. UW Ski Hat: started 11 July 2018
7. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
8. Herbivore: started 15 November 2018
9. Linen Stitch Scarf: started 2 June 2020
10.
Vanilla Socks: started 9 August 2020
11. Sand Drift Blanket: started 17 January 2021
12. Sockhead: started 27 September 2021

So, I thought briefly that I might get the Herbivore shawl out of the middle of the row that I was on.....yeah, that didn't happen. I took it along to places but I didn't actually work on it. 

I did, however, work on the Sockhead. It's getting long (for once) and that's good with me. It's just stockinette until I decide I'm done. Or I run out of yarn. It's more likely that I'll decide I'm done before I run out of yarn but we'll see. I'm going to really try to use the whole skein. 

I also pulled out a ball of pre-wound sock yarn, and although I created a project page in Ravelry, I haven't actually started anything so I'm not counting it and I'm not listing it. So there. I'll get around to it. 

But that's about it.

 

OMGLSGWTFBBQ


Design WIPs:
1. Messed Up Moss: started March 2009 - write pattern as PDF (iterations: firstsecond)
2. Susan's Hat: started 31 August 2010 - need new prototypes & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthirdminififthsixth)
3. Little Man's Baby Blanket: started July 2010 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
4. Chunky Scarf: started 6 October 2012 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
5. Pacific Waves Hat: started 9 March 2016 - need new prototype & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthird)
6. Fall in San Francisco: started 18 September 2016 - need new prototype & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
7. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017 - need prototypes & write patterns
8. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017 - need various weight yarn prototypes & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
9. Paradiddle Socks: started 19 October 2017 - write pattern (iteration: here)

 

Design Ideas:
1. Christmas Stocking for Husband

2. Christmas Stocking for Little Man

3. Christmas Stocking for Stormageddon

4. Baby Blanket
5. Stomping Grounds Collection

 

Items for ME (Selfish Knitting FTW!):
1.
Rose's Wrist Warmers (DK weight - using Aran instead; hand-dyed Malabrigo Twist?)
2.
Perianth (fingering weight - Knitcircus Trampoline in The Whole Enchilada)
3. Stranger Things Hat (worsted - Malabrigo Rios in Archangel)
4.
Autopilot (worsted weight - Sincere Sheep Cormo Worsted or htNEVELE Worsted in Reveire)
5. Fine Tune (fingering weight - uses minis so maybe a rainbow type one with the Canon Hand Dyes?)*

6. Flax (worsted weight - Misty Alpaca in the Harry Potter colors)

7. Park Slope (fingering weight - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot in Shamrock)
8. Undone (bulky - maybe the reclaimed yarn from the Freeport Vest?)
9. Socks (fingering weight - Bob knows I have enough so I should use it - maybe with the CSM)

10. Age of Brass & Steam (Handspun purple/white barber pole)
11. Radiate Shawl (fingering weight - Artfibers Carezza maybe?)


Children's Items/Knitting for others
1. Honey Badger: (worsted weight - black & white acrylic I have banging around the stash)*
2. Maybe a Flax for Little Man...maybe...

 

Utilitarian/Household Items
1. Garter Chevron Blanket (KP Mighty Stitch - may need to get some more black or white)
2. Diagonal Knit Dishcloths (cotton of some sort)
3. Reusable Produce Bag (cotton or acrylic of some sort - worsted)
4. Grandma's Favorite Dishcloth (cotton or maybe bamboo, depending on the use)


Spinning:


Dyeing:
1. Sock Blanks (I think I have 5 left)
2. Random worsted/sport skeins (I have maybe 2-3 left)
3. Anything else I find along the way (I don't think there's anything else)


Other Fibery Endeavors:
1. Create project bag inventory
2. Update library inventory (on Ravelry) *in progress*
3. Update stash inventory (on Ravelry) *needs to be redone - after we move*
4. Stitch markers: kits and individual
5. Destash as necessary (it's always necessary)

 

 

We are back to packing properly. We have about a month before the moving truck comes so we pulled a bunch of boxes inside from the garage so we could pack what's in the garage. I've also been working on closets. My yarn is packed around Husband's beer brewing equipment (though I haven't packed all of it), which is actually beneficial in both directions. It means we're filling empty spaces in boxes with soft things that are not things that require more money (like bubble wrap or packing peanuts)...and my yarn is getting packed.  

I had to take the whorl off Viktor yesterday so I could pack him. I was hoping I could fit it into a large or extra large box without removing the whorl but that didn't happen. So, I used yarn and fiber to pack around him, and some bubble wrap around the whorl itself...and the wheel, because I don't trust people to not drop things. 

I plan to spend the next few weeks packing up the rest of the house.....and move things around. We'll see how things go. Regardless, I need to pack everything up. Unfortunately, we still have all the staging stuff around the house, too, which is impeding my storage solutions for the boxes. It'll be gone soon enough but in the meantime, it's there. Puppy discovered he could sit on one of the stage chairs and look out the front window so I've caught him there a few times. 

Aside from packing, a few other things have happened. The boys got their first Covid vaccinations last week. Husband took them because I was sitting in their IEP meetings for school.


 

They were rockstars. They got stickers, they got their shots, and they did pretty well with everything (tired, mostly). 


After all that, we went to Disneyland. We spent two days there, one at Disneyland proper and the other at California Adventure. We spent a lot of time in the Star Wars area of Disneyland. We couldn't get into Galaxy's Edge (required getting into a virtual queue and being quick - we weren't quick enough) but we did do Smuggler's Run.





This last photo....I don't know why but I really like it. So I'm going to show it off. It's not like it's anything special...but I really do like it.

There were a few spots in the queue to diddle with buttons and levers. So, the boys did that.





As is customary, we rode Dumbo. Stormageddon and I rode together with Husband and Little Man in front of us. We are fans of Dumbo. Someday I'll show them the movie....



And then we decided we would try our hand at the Matterhorn. The Matterhorn is the oldest ride at Disneyland that is still in operation. Disneyland opened in 1955 and the Matterhorn debuted in 1959.

Generally speaking, I don't do rollercoasters. This is how I felt about the idea of going on the Matterhorn...




Turns out, I loved it.......until we broke it. Yes, friends, we broke the Matterhorn. Husband was in the bobsled in front, then me, Stormageddon, Little Man, another boy that was celebrating his birthday (9th) and his mom. To be fair, I don't know for sure if we were the ones that broke it....but the two sled trains in front of us finished and we did not. At least we were toward the end and had stairs to climb fairly easily. I can't imagine being in the tunnel that goes up in the dark...




This is how far up we were. Basically, the track curves to the right and goes under where we were stuck to the bottom where it picks up all the new people.




After that excitement, we wandered back toward Star Wars. The boys found some sassy robots, then they got to control a few.






Rey came out for awhile, as well. I couldn't hear her from where we were sitting but she was out there, fighting the good fight.

Then we got to do the coolest thing ever.

 



We got to design and build our own lightsabers. Interestingly, we all chose a different style and then we all chose different Kyber Crystal colors (Husband's is purple, Stormageddon's is red, Little Man's is blue, and mine is green). Based on the type you chose (Peace & Justice - Little Man's, Power & Control - Stormageddon's, Elemental Nature - mine, or Protection & Defense - Husband's), you have a tray set out in front of you and you pick your pieces. You can find out more here. Then you lock in and you have your lightsaber. 

After that, we were still all hot and icky and decided to use our Fast Pass (that we received because we were on the Matterhorn when it broke down) to go on Space Mountain. 

First of all, we couldn't figure out how to get the lightsabers in the unit with us...and then Husband and I both got stuck and while I got out easier than he did, we still wound up with some pretty nasty bruises on our legs. In addition to that, we all hated the ride. I enjoyed the breeze but being stuck in that little tin can was awful. I don't think we'll be doing that one again. 

We went on Star Tours to get the bad taste out of our mouth from that experience. That was much better. Then we went back to the hotel, went swimming, ordered Door Dash Dinner from a local Mexican restaurant, and called it good. 

The next day, we went to California Adventure. We spent time at the new Avenger's Campus, Cars Land, and the Grizzy Gulch area (no idea what it's actually called). We actually took a midday break when it got really hot, came back to the hotel, went swimming, watched Shang-Chi, took naps, ate lunch, and lazed about until the sun went down. We definitely did NOT go on the Guardians of the Galaxy ride. Never again. 

We rode Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, Grizzly River Rapids (I was definitely a fan), Web-Slinger (Spider-Man thing), Monsters Inc., Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind (which made me a little nauseated since I was going backwards), Jessie's Critter Carousel (totally my jam), and Toy Story Mania. There may have been another one or two or three in there but those I remember. We also played a couple of the Midway games on Pixar Pier. 







After all that, we drove back home. Well, the next morning. It was a long drive (as it always is). And then, because I'm one of those people...totally forgot we would need to quarantine after our travel. Oops. So, the boys are home all week (they have half-days all week anyway) and they have off next week because of Thanksgiving. ::sigh::

Husband took a couple photos of the boxes that are now in our front room (and of me while I was packing up Viktor). There are boxes all over the place.




So, we've been busy little bees and now it's back to packing. 


I hope you had a lovely week and weekend and start of the new week!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a really fun outing - all those smiles! :) You've got a lot on your plate right now so it was nice you were able to get out for some family time together too.

    ReplyDelete