Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Monday, April 25, 2022

ELEVENTH Self-Imposed Year of Projects: Day late, no dollars....sorry! (Update #17)

Yes, I know. It's Monday. So, to get it out of the way: we are almost fully recovered. Now, on to the update....


FOs (Finished Objects)

Nope. At this rate, I may never finish anything....


WIPs (Works-in-Progress) *These are carried over year after year, as needed*
1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. UW Ski Hat: started 11 July 2018
7. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
8. Herbivore: started 15 November 2018
9. Linen Stitch Scarf: started 2 June 2020
10. Vanilla Socks: started 9 August 2020
11. Sand Drift Blanket: started 17 January 2021
12. Vanilla Socks: started 12 December 2021
13. Dishcloth: started 25 February 2022
14. Mixed BFL (Annie): started 18 March 2022
15. Lakeline Tank: started 18 March 2022
16. Baby Blanket: started 22 April 2022

This week.....I did some things this past week. I worked on a granny square. I did a quick count and I think I'm working on the 36th square, which means, if I can get it done without running out of yarn, I should be able to make a 6x6 or 4x9 blanket, which is about perfect. Maybe. I honestly don't know. I need to just lay it out and take a proper look. One of these days. I did buy yarn to do the seaming work so I am ready to go once I run out of yarn. If I'm wrong with my count, I can make a 5x7 (if I have 35 squares)....but if I have 37 squares, I'm just going to have to use one or two for coasters or something. It'll be fine.

In addition to that, I spent some time spinning the mixed BFL on Annie. I found a super simple solution to the wheel dragging on the carpet and leaving a mark from the drive band. When one of my LYSeseses in California was going out of business (can't remember if it was Nine Rubies or Purlesence), they had cedar blocks (maybe 2"x3") that they were selling in little packages of 4-6 blocks. The idea is that cedar helps keep bugs out of your fiber, hence why they had them and were selling them. I had intended to put them in my bins but I never actually did it. They made the move to Wisconsin, however. The cedar blocks are just the right size and height to go under the rubber feet on Annie so I put one on each side on the back feet and it lifts the wheel up enough so that it spins freely. And they're small. So it's kind of perfect. No black mark on my carpet and I spent some time spinning. I call that a win.

I also actually started the Lakeline Tank this week. I figured out which size I needed/wanted, did the CO, made sure it wasn't twisted, and started working on the ribbing for the bottom. I did make a change: the pattern calls for 1x1 ribbing but I really don't like 1x1 ribbing so I did 2x2 instead. I'm also doing a few more rounds of ribbing than the pattern calls for. It's not going to happen for awhile but I also expect that I'm going to do ribbing around the arms and neck instead of the i-cord but we'll see when I get there. I might do the i-cord. 

And, because I'm a total glutton for punishment, I started another project. But, I have a time frame on it...well, two "its," actually. One of Husband's coworkers will be a proud daddy to twin girls in a few weeks. So, I'm making baby blankets. I picked up bulky yarn (Bernat Baby Blanket) and big needles and I'm making it up as I go along. Basically, it's a moss stitch border with stockinette in the middle and I'm doing stripes. I finished the first section (out of five) earlier today. Since I'm going to be making two of these for identical twin girls, I thought they should be close to the same but slightly different. So, one blanket is going to be grey and pink (the current one) and the other is going to be grey and purple. If I have any yarn left, I'll make matching baby hats or something. 

Lastly, I pulled out the Vanilla Socks and worked on them. I have maybe 5-7 rounds before the toe decreases so I'm almost done with the first sock. Go me?


OMGLSGWTFBBQ


Design WIPs:
1. Messed Up Moss: started March 2009 - write pattern as PDF (iterations: firstsecond)
2. Susan's Hat: started 31 August 2010 - need new prototypes & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthirdminififthsixth)
3. Little Man's Baby Blanket: started July 2010 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
4. Chunky Scarf: started 6 October 2012 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
5. Pacific Waves Hat: started 9 March 2016 - need new prototype & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthird)
6. Fall in San Francisco: started 18 September 2016 - need new prototype & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
7. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017 - need prototypes & write patterns
8. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017 - need various weight yarn prototypes & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
9. Paradiddle Socks: started 19 October 2017 - write pattern (iteration: here)

 

Design Ideas:
1. Christmas Stocking for Husband

2. Christmas Stocking for Little Man

3. Christmas Stocking for Stormageddon

4. Baby Blanket
5. Stomping Grounds Collection

 

Items for ME (Selfish Knitting FTW!):
1.
Park Slope (fingering weight - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot in Shamrock)
2.
Flax (worsted weight - Misty Alpaca in the Harry Potter colors)
3. Musselburgh (any weight - likely DK or worsted)*
4. 3 Color Cashmere Cowl (fingering weight, 3 colors)
5. Gradient Band Cowl (fingering weight - Safronie Fairy Tales gradient and a solid)*
6.
Fine Tune (fingering weight - uses minis so maybe a rainbow type one with the Canon Hand Dyes?)
7. Stashbusting Helix Hats (worsted weight - bits and bobs of worsted)
8. Hüj Tüb (laceweight - maybe that 100% lace cashmere I've had forever?)
9. Undone (bulky - maybe the reclaimed Freeport Vest yarn?)

 

Children's Items/Knitting for others
1. Flax for Little Man (worsted weight - likely Baah Yarns Shasta in London Blue)
2.
Honey Badger: (worsted weight - black & white acrylic I have banging around the stash)*
3. The Mandolorian (sport weight - need grey, white, and green...which I might have)*
4. Zelda Beanie (worsted weight - black or grey and yellow, which I'm sure I have)
5. Wasabi for Mr. K (worsted weight - Cascade 220 in Moss Agate if possible)
6. Bugle for Miss E (worsted weight - multicolor; htNEVELE in Reverie if possible)
7. Bonbon for Miss C (worsted weight - Cascade 220 in Vinci if possible)
8. Baby Bear for Mr. T (fingering weight - anything will work)
9. Pig for Earle & Duane (worsted weight - need pink, of course...maybe a good use for the one skein of Molly Ringwald I have?)

 

Utilitarian/Household Items
1. On-Trend Chair Socks (worsted weight bits and bobs) - I have a lot of chairs that could use these
2.
Garter Chevron Blanket (KP Mighty Stitch - may need to get some more black or white)
3.
Diagonal Knit Dishcloths (cotton of some sort, possibly a cotton/bamboo blend, depending on use)
4.
Reusable Produce Bag (cotton or acrylic of some sort - worsted)
5. Harry Potter Blanket (worsted weight - based on several dishcloth patterns to make blocks)
6. Grandma's Favorite Dishcloth (cotton or a cotton/bamboo blend, again based on use)
7. Pop Blanket (worsted weight - a little of this and that?)
8. Holiday Countdown Stockings (worsted weight - various colors)

 

Spinning:
1. Wonderland Dyeworks BFL in Stream Bed
2. Wonderland Dyeworks BFL in Winter Night
3. Timber Ridge Farm Alpaca Roving
4. Ashland Bay Fiber 100% Merino Top in English Garden
5. Anne's Fiber Expressions Elynenium

 

Dyeing:
1. Sock Blanks
(I think I have 5 left)

2. Random worsted/sport skeins (I have maybe 2-3 left)

3. Anything el
se I find along the way (I don't think there's anything else, but maybe?)

 

Other Fibery Endeavors:
1. Stash Fit
2. Create a project bag inventory
3. Update library inventory (on Ravelry)
4. Update stash inventory (on Ravelry) and reorganize yarn
5. Stitch markers: make kits and individual for Etsy shop
6. Destash as necessary/needed

 

This week has been somewhat productive around here. Saturday was absurdly gorgeous so we spent time outside. I got the beehives placed, though the bees haven't arrived yet. The boys helped haul branches and logs around the property. Last weekend, we cut down the grass in a good chunk of our marshland near the house. It was either that or we were going to do a controlled burn (which we may still do, actually). Our friend brought over his tractor with the finisher and he did some of the bigger areas and Husband went around with our little John Deere lawn tractor. There were a bunch of logs out there, buried in the tall grass, which caused some issues. We got most of it taken care of. It was pretty squishy out there. I think mowing down the grass is going to be a once or twice a year thing. They also cut out some branches and general undergrowth mess by the propane tank, which is where Puppy gets tied outside for potty breaks. We cut it down because he kept coming in with burrs and I hate picking them out.

Husband and said friend also went down to the tractor place and Husband bought a small tractor...it's a Kubota, 48" bucket on the front (which we can use to plow), 60" mowing blades, and I think he also got a finisher, which is for the big stuff like the marsh. ::sigh:: We also still have the John Deere lawn tractor. 

Little Man and I went to a movie yesterday. We saw Fantastic Beasts: Secrets of Dumbledore at the AMC. I'm not going to spoil anything other than to say that the new beast: I want one. It's adorable. When we were coming home, we found the road blocked by a tree that had fallen over. It wasn't a particularly large tree but it was still a tree...so we turned around and took a detour, which took us right past Blackberry Ridge. If I could afford to, I would buy it. 

What else what else.......oh, we went out for ice cream on Saturday. We picked up one of our friends and the five of us had ice cream. 

 



Clearly I never taught Stormageddon how to eat properly. He had ice cream all over his face. And his hands. And his pants. And his socks. I swear I taught him to use a spoon and how to wipe his hands on a napkin.....but it all failed. He was way too into the ice cream. I was ridiculously thirsty that day.....but to be fair, it was rather warm and we had been working outside for a couple of hours. 

Oh, and Husband got a Mandolorian Pulse Rifle Nerf Gun. Because why not?!

 



A Nerf War definitely happened in my house. 

We are mostly recovered from Covid. Little Man still has a cough and Stormageddon is still congested. I'm occasionally coughing and am still having trouble with endurance. Husband seems to be mostly fine, except for the occasional cough, as well. 

So, that's good.

I hope you had a lovely week and weekend!

1 comment:

  1. You are diligent property owners. The pic of Stormaggedon made me LOL. A boy and his ice cream; can't beat that.

    ReplyDelete