Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, November 6, 2022

ELEVENTH Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Are these the best days of our lives? (Update #45)

Happy Sunday! Let's get going!

 

 

FOs (Finished Objects)
1.
Baby Blanket: started 22 April 2022; finished 4 June 2022
2.
Herbivore: started 15 November 2018; finished June 2022
3.
Baby Blanket: started 4 June 2022; finished 25 August 2022
4. Venskab (test knit): started 12 September 2022; finished 16 September 2022
5.
Vanilla Socks: started 12 December 2021; finished 17 September 2022
6. Baby Blanket: started 4 September 2022; finished 25 September 2022
7. Pattern for Baby Blanket: started 25 September 2022; finished 26 September 2022
8.
Colorfun Hat: started 7 October 2022; finished 1 November 2022

I finished up the hat that I was making. I used almost the entire skein, which is always a good thing. I maybe had a yard left at the end. You can see it in the photo below.



I've also washed it and let it dry and it fits my little model. Actually, it also fits Little Man which means it will probably fit me, as well. But Stormageddon was my model.



I decided I liked the yarn so much I picked up another three skeins in different colors (black, an orangey/red/pinky/yellow called "Indian Summer" and a blue/green one). I see more hats in the future......maybe using the black for the ribbing and the crown. We'll see how things go. 

But that's it, I swear! 


WIPs (Works-in-Progress) *These are carried over year after year, as needed*
1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. UW Ski Hat: started 11 July 2018
7. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
8. Linen Stitch Scarf: started 2 June 2020
9. Vanilla Socks: started 9 August 2020
10. Sand Drift Blanket: started 17 January 2021
11. Dishcloth: started 25 February 2022
12. Mixed BFL (Annie): started 18 March 2022
13. Lakeline Tank: started 18 March 2022
14. Socks: started 28 September 2022
15. Bonbon 2: started 15 October 2022

Aside from finishing the hat, I worked on a multitude of things. Husband was out of town for work during the middle of the week so I spent some time working on projects. I finished the second foot/leg and made the tail for Bonbon the Bunny; both are stuffed, as well. I thought about starting the arms but I wasn't feeling it. 

Instead, I dug into deep, mostly hibernating WIPs....I came out with my Returning Shawl. 

Now, if you've been reading for awhile, you'll know that I started this almost five years ago and it's been in varying stats of hibernation since then. I had finally gotten to the point where I needed to decide on the contrasting colors and I've been wafting about ever since. But, when I pulled it out, I decided I should probably double check my stitch count to make sure I was where I thought I was and where I was supposed to be......

Nope. 

On one side of the center stitches, I had 127 sts. and on the other side, I had 126 sts....and neither were correct. I should have had 128 sts on either side to be where I needed to be and where I thought I was. But, you know, counting.....so I double checked my count. Twice. And it was still 127 and 126. So I started examining my knitting, as you do. I couldn't see any missed YOs or missed M1s so I did what any reasonable person would do and I double checked my math. 

Nope. 

Math was correct. So I figured out how many stitches I should have if I went back one pattern repeat (meaning I wasn't quite where I thought I was supposed to be)...and that should have been 125 sts on either side of the center, which still wasn't correct but I could work backwards from there if I needed to tink back more. And then I tinked back one row.....and lo, I had the correct number of stitches for that row and was able to carry on my merry way. And no, I wasn't where I thought I was. ::sigh::

Soooooooo, now I'm at the point where I switch to the contrast colors and maybe needle size and start working on the lace border. But there's this note in the pattern that says that once you get to this point of the stockinette section, you can make it bigger by continuing to repeat those last two rows until whenever you want, as long as you're ready to work a RS row and have marked the center stitches correctly....and I thought it wasn't wide enough so I worked out the math for the next dozen pattern repeats (in case I lose my stitch count again) and I started working beyond. 

And that brings me to the contrast colors. I don't think I'm going to do the contrast colors at all. I think I'm going to make this a one-color shawl and call it good. I have maybe a little less than half the skein left but I also have a partial left from when I made this hat in 2015. So I might be able to do it. We'll see how it goes. I'm going to put a lifeline in when I get to the lace boarder section, just in case I either (1) screw up, or (2) run out of yarn, which would mean (3) needing to do it over with a contrast of some kind.

So that's where I'm sitting with the Returning Shawl. 

But wait, there's more! I also worked on the Vanilla Socks that I've had going for far too long (as far as socks go). I finished up the foot yesterday and I started the toe decreases so all I need to do is sit for a hot minute and finish the toe on the second sock. And then I'll have another FO, which is a delightful thought.


OMGLSGWTFBBQ

Design WIPs:
1. Messed Up Moss: started March 2009 - write pattern as PDF (iterations: firstsecond)
2. Susan's Hat: started 31 August 2010 - need new prototypes & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthirdminififthsixth)
3. Little Man's Baby Blanket: started July 2010 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
4. Chunky Scarf: started 6 October 2012 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
5. Pacific Waves Hat: started 9 March 2016 - need new prototype & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthird)
6. Fall in San Francisco: started 18 September 2016 - need new prototype & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
7. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017 - need prototypes & write patterns
8. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017 - need various weight yarn prototypes & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
9. Paradiddle Socks: started 19 October 2017 - write pattern (iteration: here)

 

Design Ideas:
1. Christmas Stocking for Husband

2. Christmas Stocking for Little Man

3. Christmas Stocking for Stormageddon

4. Baby Blanket
5. Stomping Grounds Collection

 

Items for ME (Selfish Knitting FTW!):
1.
Park Slope (fingering weight - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot in Shamrock)
2.
Flax (worsted weight - Misty Alpaca in the Harry Potter colors)
3. Musselburgh (any weight - likely DK or worsted)
4. 3 Color Cashmere Cowl (fingering weight, 3 colors)
5. Gradient Band Cowl (fingering weight - Safronie Fairy Tales gradient and a solid)*
6.
Fine Tune (fingering weight - uses minis so maybe a rainbow type one with the Canon Hand Dyes?)
7. Stashbusting Helix Hats (worsted weight - bits and bobs of worsted)
8. Hüj Tüb (laceweight - maybe that 100% lace cashmere I've had forever?)
9. Undone (bulky - maybe the reclaimed Freeport Vest yarn?)

 

Children's Items/Knitting for others
1. Flax for Little Man (worsted weight - likely Baah Yarns Shasta in London Blue)
2.
Honey Badger: (worsted weight - black & white acrylic I have banging around the stash)*
3. The Mandolorian (sport weight - need grey, white, and green...which I might have)*
4. Zelda Beanie (worsted weight - black or grey and yellow, which I'm sure I have)
5. Wasabi for Mr. K (worsted weight - Cascade 220 in Moss Agate if possible)
6. Bugle for Miss E (worsted weight - multicolor; htNEVELE in Reverie if possible)
7. Baby Bear for Mr. T (fingering weight - anything will work)
8. Pig for Earle & Duane (worsted weight - need pink, of course)


Utilitarian/Household Items
1. On-Trend Chair Socks (worsted weight bits and bobs) - I have a lot of chairs that could use these
2.
Garter Chevron Blanket (KP Mighty Stitch - may need to get some more black or white)
3.
Diagonal Knit Dishcloths (cotton of some sort, possibly a cotton/bamboo blend, depending on use)
4.
Reusable Produce Bag (cotton or acrylic of some sort - worsted)
5. Harry Potter Blanket (worsted weight - based on several dishcloth patterns to make blocks)
6. Grandma's Favorite Dishcloth (cotton or a cotton/bamboo blend, again based on use)
7. Pop Blanket (worsted weight - a little of this and that?)
8. Holiday Countdown Stockings (worsted weight - various colors)

 

Spinning:
1. Wonderland Dyeworks BFL in Stream Bed
2. Wonderland Dyeworks BFL in Winter Night
3. Timber Ridge Farm Alpaca Roving
4. Ashland Bay Fiber 100% Merino Top in English Garden
5. Anne's Fiber Expressions Elynenium

 

Dyeing:
1. Sock Blanks
(I think I have 5 left)

2. Random worsted/sport skeins (I have maybe 2-3 left)

3. Anything el
se I find along the way (I have a small bin with all my "stuff to dye" in it)

 

Other Fibery Endeavors:
1. Stash Fit
2. Create a project bag inventory
3. Update library inventory (on Ravelry)
4. Update stash inventory (on Ravelry) and reorganize yarn
5. Stitch markers: make kits and individual for Etsy shop
6. Destash as necessary/needed

 

 

I mentioned somewhere above that Husband was out of town for a few days this week, lending me some time alone. I attempted to catch up on some shows that I've been wanting to watch, specifically The Great and I restarted The Umbrella Academy. Little Man and I also finished the second season of Stranger Things

I also got the Halloween decorations put away. The boys helped me move everything downstairs and resort the storage closet under the stairs. Basically, we took everything out, put the Halloween stuff in first, and the Christmas stuff toward the front so we can get at it. 

On Thursday, I had Stormageddon's IEP meeting. Turns out his academics are perfectly fine so we're switching him to a 504 plan, so he will still get services like occupational and physical therapy but he doesn't have "goals" like he would for an IEP. Now, if his ADHD symptoms start causing problems on the academic side, then we can revisit whether he needs an IEP. 

Other than that, there hasn't been much going on around here. Husband and I had a date night last night. We dropped the boys off to grandma's & grandpa's house (Husband's parents) and went to Milwaukee to see Clerks III and a Q&A with Kevin Smith after (called the #ConvenienceTour). I was happy with the movie. It did all the things: nostalgia, laughter, tears, joy, anger....all the things.

 
 
 
Even though Halloween was on Monday, I decided on Wednesday that we needed to watch It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. Stormageddon wandered off and Little Man was in and out. I watched it and all was well. And yes, I know our TV is huge.

 



Today, we made the boys do things other than electronics...play outside, play together, color, do legos, whatever....just leave the electronics alone. 
 
Stormageddon decided this was a good idea. 
 
 



::sigh:: Happy Sunday? Indeed. I hope you've had a lovely week and weekend! I start my new job tomorrow and I'm a bit on the terrified side. We'll see how this goes.

1 comment:

  1. New job? Did I miss a post somewhere? Good luck! The Returning shawl is such a pretty pattern. Whether you use more than one color or not, I think it will be gorgeous. Sounds like you last week was productive too. The hat looks like a good WI winter hat.

    ReplyDelete