Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Wednesday, April 12, 2023

TWELFTH Self-Imposed Year of Projects - That time when time got away from me a lot....(Updates #13 & #14)

I apologize. It's been a long hot minute since I've been in here. I have no real excuse other than sheer laziness on my part. And then time got away from me, which didn't help. By the time I thought about it, like truly thought about coming back in, it was Thursday....and that's just far too late, in my opinion. So, I opted to wait until today and just roll up two weeks into one update. 

Enough about that, though. Let's get to the knitting!


FOs (Finished Objects)
1.
Josh's Winter Hat: started 20 December 2022; finished 2 January 2022
2.
NEYCO Hat: started 31 December 2022; finished 20 January 2022
3.
Hat: started 15 February 2023; finished 25 February 2023

You would think that with two weeks' worth of updates that I *might* have finished something. But, you would be wrong. I've finished nothing. 

 

 

WIPs (Works-in-Progress) These are carried over year after year, if needed.
1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. UW Ski Hat: started 11 July 2018
7. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
8. Linen Stitch Scarf: started 2 June 2020
9. Sand Drift Blanket: started 17 January 2021
10. Dishcloth: started 25 February 2022
11. Mixed BFL (Annie): started 18 March 2022
12. Lakeline Tank: started 18 March 2022
13. Socks: started 28 September 2022
14. Bonbon 2: started 15 October 2022
15. Smile & Wave: started 15 November 2022
16. Kitty at Christmas: started 28 January 2023
17. Wasabi for Mr. K: started 10 March 2023

I did work on a few things over the past couple weeks. But, not a whole lot and we'll get to the *why* a bit later. 

We have been watching a lot of Star Wars: Clone Wars, which is the animated series that takes place between Episodes II and III. Husband says that in order to fully understand some of the things in The Mandalorian, I need to watch Clone Wars because a lot of the backstory about what happened on Mandalore and how it fell takes place during Clone Wars. But there are like 6 or 7 seasons of anywhere from 15-20 episodes each (mostly). That's a lot of episodes to try to cram in. So we've been watching in between the new episodes of The Mandalorian dropping every week. Anyway, all this TV consumption has led to a decent amount of knitting time. So, I've spent most of that time working on the Linen Stitch Scarf. It's about all I could handle, for the most part. 

So, the good news is that it's growing. The bad news is that it's still growing and not finished yet. I'll get there. 

I apologize for the awful lighting but there's proof of the scarf existing!


Honestly, though....that's about all the knitting I did the past two weeks. 


OMGLSFWTFBBQ

Items for ME (FTW!)
1. Nottingham (worsted weight, ~1200 yds; Cascade 220 Heathers)
2. Ishbel (fingering weight, ~610 yds; Happy Hands Yarn)
3. NIN Hat (worsted weight, 2 colors, ~220 yds + scraps; partials bin)
4. Boneyard Shawl (fingering weight, ~750 yds; KP Hawthorne Fingering)
5. Wilf's Hat (worsted weight, ~240 yds; Psych Ward Yarns)
6. Skoufaki (DK weight, ~175 yds; handspun)
7. Kaweah Hat (DK weight, ~240 yds; Houndstooth DK)
8. Chunkeanie (bulky weight, ~160 yds; madelinetosh Chunky)
9. Sockhead (fingering weight, ~400 yds; so many choices)
10. Stranger Things Hat (worsted weight, ~200 yds; Malabrigo Rios)
11. Huj Tub (laceweight, ~900 yds; Laceweight Cashmere)
12. Rose City Rollers (fingering weight, ~250 yds; so many choices)


Children's Items/Knitting for others
1. Flax for Little Man (worsted weight; Baah Yarns Shasta)
2.
Honey Badger: (worsted weight - black & white acrylic I have banging around the stash)*
3. The Mandolorian (sport weight, ~165 yds; need grey/black, white, and green...which I might have)*
4. Zelda Beanie (worsted weight, unknown yardage; black/grey and yellow)
5. Bugle for Miss E (worsted weight, ~150 yds; htNEVELE worsted)
6. Baby Bear for Mr. T (fingering weight, ~220 yds; anything will work)
7. Pig for Earle & Duane (worsted weight, ~300 yds; need pink, of course)
8. Hippo for Sweet Girl (fingering weight, ~400 yds total; purple & pink)
9. Elefante for Sassy Girl (worsted weight, ~250 yds; maybe if I can find the original...otherwise, something new/different)...but she's requested a cow as a replacement so we'll see how that goes.


Utilitarian/Household Items
1.
Garter Chevron Blanket (worsted weight; KP Mighty Stitch - may need to get some more black or white)
2.
Diagonal Knit Dishcloths (any weight; cotton of some sort, possibly a cotton/bamboo blend, depending on use)
3.
Reusable Produce Bag (worsted weight; cotton or acrylic)
4. Harry Potter Blanket (worsted weight; superwash or acrylic - based on several dishcloth patterns to make blocks)
5. Grandma's Favorite Dishcloth (any weight; cotton or a cotton/bamboo blend, again based on use)
6. Pop Blanket (worsted weight; superwash - a little of this and that?)
7. Holiday Countdown Stockings (worsted weight; various colors from partials bin)
8. Cat Butts (worsted weight; "cat" colors and pink for the butthole)
9. Yer Mom Licks Cat Butts (worsted weight; "cat" colors and pink for the butthole)


Other Fibery Endeavors:
1. Stash Fit
2. Create a project bag inventory
3. Update library inventory (on Ravelry)
4. Update stash inventory (on Ravelry) and reorganize yarn
5. Stitch markers: make kits and individual for Etsy shop
6. Destash as necessary/needed

 

 

So. Why have I not been knitting or doing much of anything? Well, kids, I managed to screw up my shoulder pretty badly. Two weeks ago (from tomorrow), I went to throw something in our garbage bins outside, specifically a bundle of plastic poles that you use to line your driveway so you know where the edge is for plowing. There were maybe two dozen or so bundled up with tape. It weighed maybe 10-15 lbs. Maybe not even that much. Regardless, I went to throw them and I turned my arm over to put them in the bin and my right shoulder made a pop that echoed in the valley where we live. I wish I were kidding. I immediately dropped them and realized that this was not going to be a fun time. I'm right handed, for the most part.

I mean, my ankles snap all the time without issue. They've been doing that for 25 years. But the shoulder....yeah, this was new, unexpected, and extremely painful. So, rest, ice, heat, ibuprofen, the usual. Nothing terribly different than how I'd treat a "normal" injury. But I was having difficulty moving my arm around in certain positions, specifically across my body and around my back, both of which are kind of essential for daily life for various things. Think about it. How often do you need to use your dominant arm for daily life? Yeah. This was a big issue. 

I was getting better, slowly...when it happened again doing something very different and this time, it was worse. I wound up going to the emergency room because I was in tears from the pain and couldn't move my arm. 

Good news: it's not dislocated. Bad news: they have no idea what's wrong with it. So let's put it in a sling that yanks on my neck and basically do nothing and pretend it didn't happen. 

::insert biggest eyeroll ever:: 

I gave up the sling after less than a day. I could not do my job with that sling, nor drive the car. I kept it as immobile as I could, ate ibuprofen like candy, and had a difficult time with certain tasks, most of which are TMI for this audience. Let's just say that it's been a difficult couple of weeks. The good news is that right now, though I'm still in quite a bit of pain here and there, it is getting better. 

The next step is to get in to see someone in sports medicine that deals specifically with shoulders/arms. I already know about the arthritis in my acromioclavicular joint (the joint where the clavicle and the cap of the shoulder meet). I was told that you usually only see that when you've dislocated your shoulder. Except, as far as I know, I haven't done that. So I've got mystery arthritis from God knows what. ::sigh:: But this snap is new and I suspect it may actually be a torn tendon or ligament that connects to the rotator cuff. 

So, there's a loose plan in place. But it's super loose at this point. We'll see how it goes. 

Husband bought a truck. Like an old, beat up, farm truck from a farm auction. I wish I were kidding but we have it. He's going to take it in to see what all needs to be done to get it road ready and if it's too expensive, we'll use it as a tax donation to Kars for Kids or something like that. 

See? Proof.

We also went to the Platteville Fire Department Pancake Breakfast over the weekend. One of them. Proof that my children still exist:


 

And then, there's this.....


 

This is Frank. Short for Frankenstein or Frankenstein's Monster (Husband and I can't agree on that part). The antlers came from our friend's farm. They used to raise elk so they had a bunch of the antlers so he dug out two that had the same number of points and gave them to us. Husband called up a taxidermist in Madison and said that we had these antlers we wanted mounted.....and he said, "well, I have an elk head with some slight side damage that doesn't have any." So, Frank. And he's HUGE. Like the head stands as tall as me, if not taller. With the antlers, it's definitely taller than 6'2" Husband. 

So, we've got that going on, which is good.


In other events, it's now Wednesday and it seems that I did not hit the "post" button. ::sigh:: I'll be back over the weekend, I think. I hope. I hope y'all had a good couple weeks!


No comments:

Post a Comment