Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, January 7, 2024

Lucky Thirteen! Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Happy Birthday to ME! (Update #1)

Happy birthday to me! Yes, it's true, today is my birthday! And it's also the first post of my thirteenth Self-Imposed Year of Projects because I decided I should just keep it going...

So, for those that are new here and uninitiated, the Year of Projects was started 13.5 years ago...and I hopped in at their six month mark because it coincided with my birthday (specifically my 31st - so you can do the math and discover that today I turn 44). And here we are. The idea is that you account for your projects and sometimes people make lists of what they want to make, what they're working on (Works-In-Progress, aka WIPs), what has been finished (Finished Objects, aka FOs), etc. Often you'll find people that are multi-craftual that have things outside of knitting/crochet/spinning like cross stitch or drawing or even writing. In my case, I'm definitely multi-craftual but it's mostly within the fiber arts, though you might see a non-fiber related thing here and there. 

Anyway, let's get on with it. 


Finished Objects (FOs)

It's a new year, I've not finished anything yet. Eventually something will wind up here...


Works-In-Progress (WIPs - these are carried over year after year, if needed)
1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. UW Ski Hat: started 11 July 2018
7. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
8. Dishcloth: started 25 February 2022
9. Mixed BFL (Annie): started 18 March 2022
10. Lakeline Tank: started 18 March 2022
11. Socks: started 28 September 2022
12. Bonbon 2: started 15 October 2022
13. Star Stitch Shawl: started 8 June 2023 (link to the kit)
14. Vanilla Socks: started 7 October 2023
15. Baby Blanket: started 28 October 2023
16. Irma Hat: started 23 December 2023

So. Um...let's talk about these........these are my current WIPs. Now, to be fair, some are more in a hibernation state than something I've been actively working on but I keep them all listed as WIPs because that's how my brain operates. 

First on the list is a sweater that I started nine years ago. I wish I were kidding. I was young and silly and had baby brain because Stormageddon was just a wee babe at the time. You're probably asking, "well, Renee, why haven't you frogged it?" and there is an answer: I don't want to because I want that cardigan. My gauge hasn't changed much and how little it has changed will likely block out. And while my size has changed (mostly down but also back up), I started knitting the largest size, and I have not grown to that size. What I'm getting at is that I don't need to worry about it not fitting. 

Second is a spinning project that I really should get back to. I bought a support spindle and started spinning some Shetland neck wool on it....and just didn't finish. I'm not a huge fan of spindle spinning but I do like the support spindle. I just need to unpack it and spin.

Third is my Returning Shawl. Now.....I've gone back and forth about this project since I started it, even though the decisions needed wouldn't need to be made for a long while. I'm basically at that point, however, and I've made the decision: I'm going to just keep it all one color and go with it. And hope I don't run out of yarn. 

The fourth thing on my list is another spinning project, but this one is relegated to my small electric spinning wheel, EEW Mini, which I helped fund when it was in it's Kickstarter phase. There have been updates to the original design but I still like this little wheel. I need to spend some time with it. 

My fifth project is mostly finished, honestly. I started making a granny square blanket and all the squares are made. I just need to seam everything together and weave in all the ends. Honestly, it's a few hours worth of work that I just haven't been assed enough to do at this point. 

The sixth project on my list was purchased as a kit several years ago (like almost 10 years). I still have the chart but the information for how to do the ear flaps and all that was eaten by our recliner. So I have the chart and I can figure out the crown but I likely won't be able to remake this hat as it was originally intended (with the ear flaps). That's fine. I really like this project but the biggest issue I have is that the chart is so so so small so I tend to spend time "translating" the chart for a few rounds, then knitting the colorwork, then "translating" some more rounds, followed by knitting. It's kind of tedious, which is why I wind up avoiding it. But it's a fun project.

My seventh project is a little weaving project. I bought a Purl & Loop Loom and I had visions of weaving a bunch of little coasters with the leftover sock yarns that I have....and I haven't finished the first one yet. I think it'll work fine but I just need to do the work. 

The eighth project on my list is a dishcloth, which is really more of a palette cleanser and something work on when my hands need something to do that I don't have to concentrate on. I think this one was going to be a bit longer for shower use (like washing my back without having to contort to all sorts of weird angles to do so)...but we'll see. 

My ninth project is another spinning project, this time on one of my two full-size spinning wheels. This is a BFL that I'm spinning on Annie, my Spin-O-Lution Bullfrog. This is the newest of my spinning wheels/spindles. I bought it after we moved back to Wisconsin so I've had it less than two years (and have yet to finish a spinning project with it). 

My tenth project I started last summer after seeing a college friend that had made it as a test knit. It's not a terribly difficult knit but it's stockinette in the round and I'm not a tiny person so it's taking awhile. I'm almost to the split for the armholes, which means it'll take me a million more years. 

Number eleven is a pair of socks I started for Little Man, using my own pattern. I've finished up the heel flap and I'm starting the gusset decreases on the first sock. The problem I have is that his feet keep growing so I'm not sure how big to make these damn socks.....

The twelfth project is a toy bunny that is likely going to my nephew. It's actually finished except for the face. I really ought to just do the face and send it off to my brother for my nephew. I've made toys for all the nieces and nephews and while I'd like to say that my youngest nephew is the last one, I do need to remake two others due to damage (my brother-in-law's dogs got at their kids' toys so I have two to remake over there). 

Number thirteen is the cursed Star Stitch Shawl, which has been started and frogged at least four times now...I'm going to get it right and it's going to be beautiful but I'm going to have to use lifelines and honestly, I'm here for it but I'm so frustrated by the frogging and restarting...I'll get there.

My fourteenth project is a pair of socks for me. It's been a hot minute since I've knit myself socks so I'm going to knit socks for me. The yarn was purchased by one of my LYSeseses that recently was forced to close on two weeks' notice. I wish I were kidding. The landlord decided to seriously screw them over, gave them two weeks to clear out...they didn't have time to find a new space or anything and were literally forced to close right at Christmas. I was out of the country when I found out and I was absolutely livid, as are many people. So, these socks are going to be my angry happy socks because they're pink and blue and so on and they look happy but there's going to be a lot of anger behind those socks. That was a delightful LYS and the landlord is a doucheyacht. Unfortunately, he owns half of Madison so there's not a ton that can be done. ::sigh::

Project number fifteen is a(nother) baby blanket. I'll get there. It's not a difficult knit but it's time consuming but I know the finished projects are 100% appreciated. But I'm tired of baby blankets.

My last project is the Irma Hat, which is actually close to being finished. I was working on it today, actually. I added an extra pattern repeat to make it long enough and I started the second skein of yarn today, but I'm on the last pattern repeat before the crown decreases. So I've got that going for me. 



And now, the part y'all have been waiting for: what shenanigans am I planning to get up to this year?! What kind of good trouble am I anticipating?! Good questions. Let's see how this is all going to play out...


OMGLSFWTFBBQ

Items for ME (FTW!)
1. Musselburgh (any weight - check pattern for details)
2. Danu Fingerless Gloves (fingering weight, possibly Koigu Painters Palette)
3. Stranger Things Hat (worsted weight, possibly Malabrigo Rios)
4. Rose's Wrist Warmers (worsted weight, some fuchsia Cascade 220 superwash)
5.
Wilf's Hat (worsted weight, probably Psych Ward Yarns)
6. Dumbledore's Christmas Socks (fingering weight, in Opal Dumbledore)
7. Antler Mittens (worsted weight, probably Knit Picks Swish Worsted)
8. Flax (worsted weight, Misti Alpaca Worsted)
9. Park Slope (fingering weight, Mountain Colors)
10. Fili Socks (finger weight, Holiday Yarns Flock Sock that I dyed)
11. Classic Octopus Hat (worsted weight, two contrasting colors)

Children's Items/Knitting for others
1. Flax Light for Little Man (fingering weight, using the yarn I dyed for him)
2.
Pig for Earle & Duane (worsted weight, Molly Ringwald?)
3. Hippo for Sweet Girl (fingering weight, purple & pink of some sort)
4. Replacement toy for Sassy Girl (she's requested a cow so I'll need to see what I can find)
5. Hipster for Little Man & Stormageddon (DK weight, Anzula Cricket)
6. Regular Guy Beanie (Aran weight, Malabrigo Twist that I dyed)
7. Dandy Sir Cephalepod (any weight)
8. My Little Slug (worsted weight, any color)
9. Knitted Knockers (DK or worsted, neutral colors)
10. C*nt Dishcloth for Rachel (worsted weight, any color as long as it's cotton)
11. F*ck Dishcloth for Rachel (worstedweight , any color as long as it's cotton)
12. Santa Hat (worsted weight, red and white)


Utilitarian/Household Items
1.
Pop Blanket (worsted weight, preferably superwash, Knit Picks Brava set)
2. Holiday Countdown Stockings (worsted weight, bits and bobs)

Other Fibery Endeavors:
1. Stash Fit
2. Create a project bag inventory of some sort
3. Update library inventory (on Ravelry)
4. Update stash inventory (on Ravelry)
5. Stitch markers: make kits and individual sets for Etsy shop
6. Destash as necessary/needed (because I'm allergic to silk and I'm super mad about it but it is what it is...but that means the silk has to go and I'm still super mad about it......)



So. Those are my loosely planned shenanigans. Y'all know I am not going to get to all that. But y'all also know that I need some sort of guidance in my life. So, here we are.


Now, as for the last week...well, we (meaning Husband and I, as well as our friends) came home sick from the cruise with what has now been determined to be RSV. And we likely got it before we even got on the ship...possibly during our travel. Given that I got sick first, I either got it at work or somewhere between our house and the cruise ship. I was sick by the third day of our cruise but at this point, I'm finally on the backside. Well, I think I am. I'm not coughing nearly as much and my voice is coming back. I'm also not dripping ick from my nose and sneezing every five minutes. So, I would call that a win. 

But, Husband also got sick. Our friends also got sick. And now Little Man has come down with it and he's miserable. Stormageddon is okay thus far but I'm sure he'll come down with it, too. 

It's been a bit quiet around here this past week. We have been trying to catch up slowly with everything: cleaning, laundry, unpacking, getting back into our routine, etc. I still have laundry to put away but that might have to wait until tomorrow. We took down our Christmas stuff today and for right now, it's stored in our living room because ultimately, once the addition is finished, it's going to go in a closet over there on the same level that we're on so why haul it downstairs to only have to haul it all back up? It can stay over in the corner for a few more weeks. It won't hurt anything. 

Speaking of the addition, I think the electrician is coming on Friday to do the walkthrough for where we want things like outlets and speaker hook-ups and all that. We also did some cleaning out there because construction people are lazy and just throw their garbage in a pile and expect the general contractor to clean up after them. I mean, there's an $800 fee for cleanup but we can save some of that by doing it ourselves. So, we did. I'm just glad I didn't get the side-by-side stuck in the yard when I drove around to pick up the garbage bags to take to the car for the dump. I thought I might...I'm glad I didn't. 

Other than that, not a whole lot has been happening around here. We're supposed to get quite a snowstorm starting tomorrow night and into Tuesday, possibly Wednesday. That's not going to be any sort of picnic. I do not like driving in snow and I'll likely have to go to work on Tuesday because I work for the federal government and they generally do not shut things down. I'm kind of hoping they call for a snow day for the schools, at least for the boys' sake. If I have to drive, so be it. But I'd rather the schools close than send the busses out in that ick. We'll see what happens. 

Given how things are going, I might have an FO next week with the Irma Hat. We'll see if I get some time to knit this week.


Also, no photos. It's been that kind of week.....I hope you've all had a lovely week and weekend! And happy cake day to me!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment