Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Friday, December 11, 2015

FO Friday: Let's Try for THREE

Okay, I'm going to first, and foremost, apologize for my craptastic photos. I could give you a zillion excuses for them but I'll be perfectly honest: the reason for the craptastic photos is that I'm too frickin' lazy to take proper photos or have someone take them for me. Plain and simple.

But, you can get the general idea......let's get going :)

Maple Slouch Hat (link to Project Page)
Pattern: Maple Slouch by Holly Priestley

Time Frame: started November 15, 2015; finished November 20, 2015

Yarn: Artfibers Svalbard in #3 in an unknown amount because I've been too lazy to weigh the FO

Needles: US #6 (4 mm) 16" circular and US #8 (5 mm) 16" circular and DPNs

Size: One size; lace-all-over version

Modification(s): None, as this was a test knit. The only thing I "changed" was that I specified how I did my increase round, which can be found on the project page (the pattern doesn't specify other than to say "increase __ sts evenly around")

Thoughts: As this was a test knit, there were things that I would have liked to change but didn't because, you know, test knit. The hat still came out well but I did make some of the changes for the next version...

Maple Slouch Hat (2) (link to Project Page)

Pattern: same as above

Time Frame: started November 23, 2015; finished December 1, 2015

Yarn: American Worsted by MJ Yarns in Faerie Lake - less than one skein but, again, too lazy to weigh the FO or leftover ball.

Needles: US #5 (3.75 mm) 16" circular and US #8 (5 mm) 16" circular and DPNs

Size: one size; lace-all-over version

Modification(s): This is where I made modifications that I would have made in the first one, if the first one hadn't been a test knit. The first modification was that I used a worsted weight yarn rather than the DK weight called for in the pattern. The next modification was that I used a US #5 needle instead of the US #6 called for, to make the brim a bit tighter, especially as I was using a heavier weight yarn. While the cast on isn't specified in the pattern (other than to use a stretchy one), I specifically used Jeny's Super Stretchy Cast On, which worked very well. The next thing I did was I skipped the first two knit rounds of the pattern and went straight to the ribbing. I used the same increase round as I did for the first hat, which isn't a "change" but is more specific than what the pattern gives. The last change was that I did six pattern repeats before the crown instead of five.

Thoughts: While I like both hats, I'm more inclined to wear the worsted weight one, and I think it's because the fit is a bit better and it's not as airy as the other one. Yes, I realize it's a lace-all-over hat but it's still a hat and it should offer some protection from the outside elements. Maybe that's just the Wisconsin girl in me talking but for someone that is healthy, the purpose of a hat is to look good while shoveling snow...which means keeping the cold out. The DK version just isn't heavy enough for me. Of course, that may be partly due to yarn choice...though the yarn was lovely to work with in both versions. It's a quick pattern, fairly easy to read the charts (and I'm not much of a chart reader), and the FO is fabulous. It's totally worth the money :)

Proof that it does fit my head

And.....lastly :)

Stormageddon's Bunny (link to Project Page)

Pattern: Bunny by Susan B. Anderson

Time Frame: started September 8, 2015; finished December 8, 2015

Yarn: Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino in Mink (just under 2 skeins) and Universal Yarns Cotton Supreme in Ecru (maybe 20 yds total but, honestly, I don't think it was even that much)

Needles: US #5 (3.75 mm) DPNs

Size: Whatever size it came out

Modification(s): I didn't do any major modifications to this other than the tail, which you can't see here. The tail in the pattern is a pom and poms and I are not friends. We just don't get along very well; never have. I've tried pom makers, I've tried making them on my fingers, adding more tension around the yarn that ties everything together.....we just don't get along. Also, I had visions of Stormageddon pulling that tail apart, piece by piece, and finding bits of yarn all over the house. So, rather than screw it up completely, I made the large grape from the Finger Foods pattern, also in Itty-Bitty Toys, stuffed it accordingly, and whipstitched it to the butt. It was the perfect size. Oh, I take it back...I did make one other small modification. On the feet, you're supposed to do a Kitchener Stitch to close the foot, which is fine and wonderful but I didn't like the directions in the book as I felt they left out a key element in setting up for the graft. I opted to use the one from Knitty, which accounts for setting up for the graft.

Thoughts: As with all of Susan's toys, this was a pleasure to knit and the pattern is fabulous. It didn't take me four months of constant knitting, however. I did other things in between and it's one of those projects that can be done in small spurts, which is what happened. I had the head and body done and stuffed three months ago, as well as one arm being knit. Honestly, it probably only took me five or six days of actual knitting, stuffing, seaming, and embroidering sessions to complete the project. Hopefully Stormageddon will love it for Christmas this year...

Anyway, I hope you're all having a lovely Friday! I should be back on Sunday with a Year of Projects Update! Have a good end of the week!


  1. love the hats! I hear you on going up in yarn weight and down a needle size, maybe it's the Canadian in me but hats should be warm as toast. And I love your bunny! Sounds like the perfect solution for the tail, and |I always use that grafting tutorial when I need a reminder on how to do it. the set up rows are crucial.