Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Friday, June 19, 2020

FO Friday on a Friday!

Happy Friday! It's been quite awhile since I've participated in a Finished Object Friday but I suppose it's time. I've had quite a few FOs since I last posted an actual FO Friday post but I'm not going to post about all of them. That would take far too long and, really, they're not all exciting (and some don't even have photos). But, I'll post about some of the more interesting ones. 


Age of Brass & Steam (link to Project Page)

Pattern: The Age of Brass & Steam by Orange Flower Yarn
Time Frame: started 10 August 2018; finished 7 January 2019
Yarn: Berroco Comfort DK Solids in #2760 Beet Root
Needles: US#9 (5.5 mm) circulars
Size: Bigger than the instructions called for...
Modification(s): So, I made a mistake during the second repeat and because I made it again on purpose for the fourth repeat, it became an embellishment and I just went with it. The pattern calls for a garter eyelet section, which is fine but for some reason, on the second repeat, I made it a stockinette eyelet section. I also realized that I wanted it to be larger (and had the yarn to do so) so I made the fourth eyelet section a stockinette one, as well, so they alternate and it works. I have five eyelet sections.
Thoughts: I have plans to make this one again. Maybe a few more times. It's an enjoyable, easy project and it's easy to modify for the yarn you have on hand. 



Large Sacrificial Goat (link to Project Page)

Pattern: Goat by Sarah Gasson
Time Frame: started 20 September 2019; finished 1 October 2019
Yarn: Unknown acrylic - possibly Loops & Threads but I honestly don't remember - held double throughout
Needles: US#11 (8 mm) DPNs
Size: Extra large
Modification(s): Aside from holding the yarn double and a few other small modifications that I've made before, there wasn't anything different here. 
Thoughts: I bet y'all thought I was done with these damn goats, right? HA! I thought so, too. And then the senior vice president of Husband's division was moving on to a new company. Husband asked if I'd make one more and I said yeah sure okay fine whatever. And then he said "oh, by the way, can you make it bigger and can you have it done for when he and his wife are over for dinner in ten days?" I was literally sewing it together within the hour before they arrived! Not even kidding! The goat currently has a place of honor on his (former) senior vice president's home desk (I saw it in person so I know it's there), though I suspect it will make its way to his actual office once he's back in his new office. I hope to never make this guy again. He's not difficult or anything. I've just made far too many.


Hufflepuff Hat (link to Project Page)

Pattern: Hufflepuff Knit Hat by Holly G Hats
Time Frame: started 31 July 2019; finished 7 October 2019
Yarn: Unknown acrylic that I bought in bulk for the Pikachu Hat and had plenty of leftovers
Needles: US#6 (4 mm) and US#8 (5 mm) circulars & US#8 DPNs
Size: It fits me, it fits Little Man, I call that a win!
Modification(s): I modified the chart slightly because I'm weird about mirroring but that was it. I think. Maybe the smaller needles on the ribbing was a change from the pattern. I don't remember.
Thoughts: This was my first foray into colorwork knitting that I've finished. It was very much like eating Pringles. You can't eat just one and I just could not stop working on this project. It was actually a fairly quick pattern. I worked on it mostly during swimming lessons and that worked out quite well. My floats were a little tight in some spots but a good wash helped. It fits both Little Man and me, but really, it's his. Also, I apologize for not having a proper FO photo for this hat. Someday. But not today.


Mirkwood (link to Project Page)

Pattern: Mirkwood by Brandi Spray
Time Frame: started 9 February 2020; finished 17 February 2020
Yarn: Berroco Comfort Chunky in a white/neutral color. It was less than a skein, I know that much. 
Needles: US#10 (6 mm) 16" (40 cm) circulars
Size: Well....we'll get to that.
Modification(s): I added two pattern repeats before the crown, otherwise I may as well have made the Smaug Hat by the same designer. I think that was the only actual modification.
Thoughts: "Adult size" my ass. There's no way this hat would fit an adult as written. It even says right on the pattern page that this hat is supposed to be adult sized. While it's not a big deal because we can always use hats here, I was planning to make this as a gift. With that said, I know how to adjust it to make it properly adult sized. I'm just frustrated that I'm going to have to go that route if I want to make it for an adult. ::sigh:: 


Baby Yoda (link to Project Page)


Pattern: Baby Yoda for Babies by Arianna Soloway (the original free version)
Time Frame: started 14 March 2020; finished 13 June 2020
Yarn: Loops & Threads Charisma in Sage and Loops & Threads Impeccable Solids in Beige (held double)
Needles: US#13 (9 mm) circulars & DPNs
Size: Came out baby sized, so that's good.
Modification(s): Since I couldn't find the Charisma in the Beige color needed for the coat, I got the Impeccable Solids and held it double. I think the only other modification I made was adding a few rows here and there when things didn't make sense. I was using the original free version of this pattern, before it had been tech edited and made for multiple sizes, so there were some missing instructions. Thankfully, I've been knitting long enough that I could pick up where there were going to be issues as I was working through things and fixed them on the fly. Not having seen the paid version, I don't know if these issues were fixed or not, though I would assume since this isn't her first pattern, they would have been caught during tech editing. 
Thoughts: This turns out a really cute little sweater. I hope that my sister-in-law and brother are happy with it for my incubating nephew. I need to ship this off soon as she's due within the next couple weeks...not that baby is going to need it in July but it's made to grow into so by the time fall comes about, he should fit quite well.


Abracadabra Socks (link to Project Page)

Pattern
: None, these are just socks I made up using elements from various things including Heels by the Number, a Double Gusset Heel Decrease, and a few other things. 
Time Frame: started 7 August 2018; finished 18 June 2020
Yarn: Knit Picks Felici in Abracadabra and Loops & Threads Woolike in Cool Gray
Needles: US#1 (2.25 mm) circulars - socks on two circulars
Size: To fit me, though Little Man may try to steal them...
Modification(s): None as they're (one of) my basic pattern(s)
Thoughts: I do not love the Loops & Threads but as I had already started the first sock when I made this discovery, I couldn't very well not do the second one the same way. So, I don't know that I'm going to love these socks but as they're still drying, the jury is still out. They fit fine, they feel fine, but I know the acrylic content in the Woolike may make my heels sweat. We'll see. I didn't use it on the toes because I discovered that bit of information by the time I got to the toes. So, that's where these sit right now. 


I have plenty of WIPs on the needles and I've just started my Summer Stash Down so we'll see what happens! 

3 comments:

  1. I have had the same problem with a hat pattern, made it for me and ended up gifting it to a friend for her 2 year old granddaughter! It’s frustrating. Everything looks great and it must feel good getting up to date on sharing your FOs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoa, look at you go! SO many great FOs!!

    ReplyDelete