Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Monday, September 28, 2020

Year NINE: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - All the single unexpected things (Update #39)

Happy Monday morning. Yesterday was a long day and things got away from me, as they sometimes do. Let's get moooooving!




FOs (Finished Objects):

1. Ewetopia Stripey Socks: started 15 November 2018; finished 29 January 2020
2. Tiny Turtle: started 7 November 2019; finished 30 January 2020
3. Mirkwood: started 9 February 2020; finished 17 February 2020
4. Campfire Socks: started 17 October 2018; frogged 9 April 2020
5. Sockhead: started 8 January 2020; finished 25 May 2020
6. Baby Yoda: started 14 March 2020; finished 13 June 2020
7. Abracadabra Socks: started 7 August 2018; finished 18 June 2020
8. Multi-Colored Merino Top (Viktor): started 16 January 2019; finished 30 June 2020
9. Oread Hat (test knit): started 2 July 2020; finished 11 July 2020
10. Prototype Something Something Raindrops: started 11 April 2019; finished 18 July 2020
11. Rose City Rollers: started 18 June 2020; finished 4 August 2020
12. Prototype Something Something (worsted): started 5 September 2020; finished 6 September 2020

Nope. Nothing new to see here. Again. Move along now, sir.

 

 

WIPs (Works-in-Progress) (These are carried over year to year if needed):

1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. UW Ski Hat: started 11 July 2018
7. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
8. Herbivore: started 15 November 2018
9. Linen Stitch Scarf: started 2 June 2020
10. Greenwood Fiberworks Dark BFL (Viktor): started 28 June 2020
11. Vanilla Socks: started 9 August 2020
12. Minecraft Socks: started 12 August 2020
13. Basic Fingerless Mitts: started 6 September 2020
14. Prototype Something Something cowl: started 11 September 2020

Admittedly, I didn't get a lot of knitting time this week but what time I did get happened from Thursday onward. I worked on the fingerless mitts. I've actually finished the first one (other than weaving in the ends). I do need to start the second one. Maybe later today. 

I also pulled out the Vanilla Socks and worked a few rounds on those. I was also chatting with friends at the time (six feet apart, masks on, hand sanitizer in abundance), which is why I didn't make a ton of progress (but progress is progress). 

Lastly, I pulled out the tote with my crochet granny squares and worked a bit on a square. I think I have two cakes of yarn after I finish the remaining ball. So, I'm getting there, albeit slowly. 

That was it, though. 

 

 

OMFGLSGWTFBBQ Lists



Design WIPs:
1. Messed Up Moss: started March 2009 - write pattern as PDF (iterations: firstsecond)
2. Susan's Hat: started 31 August 2010 - need new prototypes & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthirdminififthsixth)
3. Little Man's Baby Blanket: started July 2010 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
4. Chunky Scarf: started 6 October 2012 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
5. Pacific Waves Hat: started 9 March 2016 - need new prototype & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthird)
6. Fall in San Francisco: started 18 September 2016 - need new prototype & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
7. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017 - need prototypes & write patterns
8. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017 - need various weight yarn prototypes & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
9. Paradiddle Socks: started 19 October 2017 - write pattern (iteration: here)



Children's Items:
1. Oliver for Stormageddon (worsted weight - Stunning String Studio from Stitches West 2018) - I may change this to a different sweater using the same yarn
2. Honey Badger: (worsted weight - black & white acrylic I have banging around the stash)*
3. Mittens for Stormageddon (worsted weight probably)
4. I Love Stockinette Baby Bibs (worsted - cotton, acrylic, something)


Items for ME (Selfish Knitting FTW!):
1. Autopilot (worsted weight - Sincere Sheep Cormo Worsted or htNEVELE Worsted in Reveire)
2. Rose's Wrist Warmers (DK weight - using Aran instead; hand-dyed Malabrigo Twist?)
3. Perianth (fingering weight - Knitcircus Trampoline in The Whole Enchilada)
4. Pembroke Scarf (fingering weight - Fresh From the Cauldron Schoodic Sock in Sookie)
5. Flax (worsted weight - Misty Alpaca in the Harry Potter colors)
6. Park Slope (fingering weight - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot in Shamrock)
7. Socks (fingering weight - I have tons...pick something!)
8. Washcloths/chewcloths (worsted weight - cotton)
9. Sockhead (fingering - I have tons...pick something!)


Designs:
1. Christmas Stocking for Husband
2. Christmas Stocking for Little Man
3. Christmas Stocking for Stormageddon
4. Baby Blanket


Spinning:
4. Alpaca (from Lambtown 2014)


Dyeing:
1. Sock Blanks
2. Skeins of sock yarn
3. Anything else I find along the way


Other Fibery Endeavors:
1. Create project bag inventory
2. Update library inventory (on Ravelry)
3. Update stash inventory (on Ravelry)
4. Stitch markers
5. Destash as necessary
6. Stash Fit 


In other random events, I'm doing some destashing via Ravelry. If Ravelry doesn't bother you, take a look and see if there's something you like. All the prices include shipping in the US but I am willing to ship internationally (let me get a shipping quote on the items in question). I think I have a few things that don't have prices yet, mostly because I just pulled them yesterday. 

Yeah. I spent a good chunk of the day in the yarn closet yesterday. We're getting something that requires some specialized storage (it's not an everyday thing so it needs to be in storage most of the time) and the "best" place is in the yarn closet. I'm not crazy about this development for various reasons, but mostly because it meant that I needed to either get rid of 1/3 of my yarn or somehow make more fit into a smaller space. 

Space Saver Bags to the rescue! I also did pull out a bunch of stuff to send to donation (almost all acrylics or partials that I won't use). But really, it was the bags. The only "bad" thing about having everything in the space saver bags is that when I want something, I'll need to take it out and then re-do the bag and fit it back into the bin. I suppose that's not terrible if that's the worst thing that happens. It also means my bins are deceptively heavy. It'll be fine, everything will work out, etc. 

Aside from that, it's still fire season in California. While some of the fires are much more contained, there's a huge one that broke out in the North Bay, Napa Valley region. We are in no danger from it other than the smoke but we have friends that had a house up there. And I say "had" because it was on fire this morning. It's expected to be a total loss. Thankfully, they had all the important stuff out already and they have their house in San Francisco. But these aren't just nameless, faceless people. 

This past week has been.....well, it's been a rough week, actually. I was attempting some new scheduling with my work stuff and I was trying to figure out how to make it all work and I was pretty close......and then I had a meeting scheduled with my manager for Thursday. Now, where I'm from, if you have a meeting scheduled with your manager/boss, it's like being hauled into the principal's office: you're in trouble. I said as much to my friend, the one that got me this job. She said I was being silly. 

Except I wasn't. 
 
I got let go on Thursday, just like that. No warning, my friend didn't even know, we were in the process of getting some new things worked out for a new sales executive (we had a meeting scheduled like a half-hour after the one with my manager was supposed to end), and just like that: done. WHAAAAT?! 

I wish I were joking. The good thing is that it wasn't anything I did or didn't do. They're restructuring and found a workaround for some of the manual work I was doing and add Covid19 into the mix and it's just a disaster waiting to happen. 
 
That means I'm left with an abundance of free time all of a sudden, hence why I was cleaning in the yarn closet. My next plan is to clean the hall closet. That one is going to be messy. Don't get me wrong: the yarn closet was hard...but the hall closet is......well, not organized, things everywhere, things spilling out of things, things that shouldn't be in there, things falling down, etc. Not pretty. So I'm going to make it pretty. I also have time to work with the boys during their school hours and help them more. Part of me is tempted to not look for a job because I can help the boys more but I know with my car payment, we need the income. We'll be okay but it still sucks.
 
Stormageddon took some time this week to read to Puppy. Yes, he's in Kindergarten. Yes, he's reading. He read The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog, which he's heard enough that even if he wasn't reading, he could probably recite mostly from memory (and that memory served him well for some of the more difficult words). I'm not sure Puppy is interested but it was cute.
 
 

 
My burn is healing. I'm at the stage where it's mostly healed except for a spot in the middle, which is still scaly. It never really got "itchy" but that may be because I had it bandaged with Neosporin during that point. 
 
Also, because we were supposed to be on a cruise to Hawaii right now, I made melted chocolate lava cake (Godiva out of a box). 
 
 

 
For a boxed cake mix, it was pretty good (Godiva, like Betty Crocker, knows what she's doing). We had it with ice cream and it was delightful. 

That's honestly about all that's happening around here lately. I hope you've had a lovely week and weekend and all of that :)

6 comments:

  1. So sorry about your job. It sounds like you are making the best of the situation. I don't know how you are able to accomplish so much with the boys, maintaining the house and having some social outlets, and all while working! Maybe getting some breathing room for a few weeks will be a good thing. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "all that's happening" are you kidding me?? You amaze me. I am so sorry about the job loss. My brother and another friend have lost jobs over the summer. My son is back in college for a second degree after he lost his job last spring. Give yourself space to acknowledge the stress. I wish you the best as you try to job search in this Covid mess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your job, that really sucks. I love how your boy is reading to the puppy. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about your job, but I am happy to see you looking at the glass half full. There have been a few friends let go of their jobs in this 2nd go round of cuts. Sucks! I wish for you that the perfect job is just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about your job- hopefully you can find something new soon.

    ReplyDelete