Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Monday, October 5, 2020

Year NINE: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Destashing & cleaning are hard bits of work! (Update #40)

Happy Sunday Monday! Let's get going!

 

FOs (Finished Objects):

1. Ewetopia Stripey Socks: started 15 November 2018; finished 29 January 2020
2. Tiny Turtle: started 7 November 2019; finished 30 January 2020
3. Mirkwood: started 9 February 2020; finished 17 February 2020
4. Campfire Socks: started 17 October 2018; frogged 9 April 2020
5. Sockhead: started 8 January 2020; finished 25 May 2020
6. Baby Yoda: started 14 March 2020; finished 13 June 2020
7. Abracadabra Socks: started 7 August 2018; finished 18 June 2020
8. Multi-Colored Merino Top (Viktor): started 16 January 2019; finished 30 June 2020
9. Oread Hat (test knit): started 2 July 2020; finished 11 July 2020
10. Prototype Something Something Raindrops: started 11 April 2019; finished 18 July 2020
11. Rose City Rollers: started 18 June 2020; finished 4 August 2020
12. Prototype Something Something (worsted): started 5 September 2020; finished 6 September 2020

Nothing new yet. It's okay. There's a lot happening. 

 

 

WIPs (Works-in-Progress) (These are carried over year to year if needed):

1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. UW Ski Hat: started 11 July 2018
7. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
8. Herbivore: started 15 November 2018
9. Linen Stitch Scarf: started 2 June 2020
10. Greenwood Fiberworks Dark BFL (Viktor): started 28 June 2020
11. Vanilla Socks: started 9 August 2020
12. Minecraft Socks: started 12 August 2020
13. Basic Fingerless Mitts: started 6 September 2020
14. Prototype Something Something cowl: started 11 September 2020

Given my job situation (or, really, lack thereof), I've had substantially more knitting time this week....but I didn't spend a lot of time knitting. I did work on the Prototype Something Something cowl. Unfortunately, even though I checked and rechecked and rerechecked, I still managed to twist it when I joined in the round. Of course, I didn't notice for maybe three rounds and it's not like we're talking about twenty stitches...so, I had to frog and restart and I was kind of grumpy about it but this time around, I'm good. No twist, no dropped stitches, I'm just working along. I'm maybe halfway through the ribbing. Of course, there's pattern after that, then more ribbing, so it's not like I've made a ton of progress but every bit has helped.

I've been working on it during Stormageddon's morning & afternoon meetings (because while he requires someone to be near him, he doesn't necessarily require rapt attention) and I also took it to Ikea yesterday, where I was waiting in the returns line for a good 45 minutes, maybe longer. 

I did spend some time last night working on a few different projects. I pulled out the Herbivore Shawl and knit a full pattern repeat (which is only four rows). Then I switched to my Vanilla Socks for a few rounds. I ended by starting the second Fingerless Mitt. 

Aside from that, I've done no knitting. I have, however, been destashing, which is always good. I've made a few trips to the post office and I have a couple more to make today. I had hoped to ship them on Friday but life got in the way and time got away from me. Husband bought me some smaller space saver bags so we'll see how it all works. 



OMFGLSGWTFBBQ Lists



Design WIPs:
1. Messed Up Moss: started March 2009 - write pattern as PDF (iterations: firstsecond)
2. Susan's Hat: started 31 August 2010 - need new prototypes & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthirdminififthsixth)
3. Little Man's Baby Blanket: started July 2010 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
4. Chunky Scarf: started 6 October 2012 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
5. Pacific Waves Hat: started 9 March 2016 - need new prototype & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthird)
6. Fall in San Francisco: started 18 September 2016 - need new prototype & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
7. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017 - need prototypes & write patterns
8. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017 - need various weight yarn prototypes & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
9. Paradiddle Socks: started 19 October 2017 - write pattern (iteration: here)



Children's Items:
1. Oliver for Stormageddon (worsted weight - Stunning String Studio from Stitches West 2018) - I may change this to a different sweater using the same yarn
2. Honey Badger: (worsted weight - black & white acrylic I have banging around the stash)*
3. Mittens for Stormageddon (worsted weight probably)
4. I Love Stockinette Baby Bibs (worsted - cotton, acrylic, something)


Items for ME (Selfish Knitting FTW!):
1. Autopilot (worsted weight - Sincere Sheep Cormo Worsted or htNEVELE Worsted in Reveire)
2. Rose's Wrist Warmers (DK weight - using Aran instead; hand-dyed Malabrigo Twist?)
3. Perianth (fingering weight - Knitcircus Trampoline in The Whole Enchilada)
4. Pembroke Scarf (fingering weight - Fresh From the Cauldron Schoodic Sock in Sookie)
5. Flax (worsted weight - Misty Alpaca in the Harry Potter colors)
6. Park Slope (fingering weight - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot in Shamrock)
7. Socks (fingering weight - I have tons...pick something!)
8. Washcloths/chewcloths (worsted weight - cotton)
9. Sockhead (fingering - I have tons...pick something!)


Designs:
1. Christmas Stocking for Husband
2. Christmas Stocking for Little Man
3. Christmas Stocking for Stormageddon
4. Baby Blanket


Spinning:
4. Alpaca (from Lambtown 2014)


Dyeing:
1. Sock Blanks
2. Skeins of sock yarn
3. Anything else I find along the way


Other Fibery Endeavors:
1. Create project bag inventory
2. Update library inventory (on Ravelry)
3. Update stash inventory (on Ravelry)
4. Stitch markers
5. Destash as necessary


This week was a lot less stressful in some ways. I had time to focus on the kids' schoolwork, reteach some things with which Little Man was having problems (math, mostly, but also some science), pay more attention to life in our house in general. 

Of course, the fact that I've suddenly lost our second income, regardless that it wasn't all that huge, has stressed me out a bit. We will be fine but for the time being, I'm just a little stressed about it. 
 
I took a couple photos of the boys working this week. Stormageddon is definitely reading at this point, though he still has some trouble because he's six. He was working on a reading project. 




Little Man started cursive at school a week or so ago. It's definitely not how I learned. I think we started at the beginning of the alphabet and worked through to the end. The way they do it makes a lot more sense because it starts with the lower-case letters (which they'll use more often anyway), but specifically the ones that are virtually identical to their printed counterparts (a, c, d, e, g, h, i, j, l, p, t...). He has the same trouble with cursive that he does with printing: inconsistent letter sizes. ::sigh::



One of the more entertaining things that happened this week involved Little Man during a break. He went outside to play for a little bit with Stormageddon. I was working on something inside and I hear him yelling from the back door to come outside. 

If you're squeamish about reptiles, you may want to just scroll on by. 

.

.

.

.

.

.


Little Man found a snake outside and managed to catch it. It was just a little grass/garden snake, 100% not harmful. It was a little scared and kept trying to slither up his arm instead of coiling around him. He released him in the grass not long after the photo and then he washed his hands thoroughly. 
 
I also found a salamander on our front steps one day last week. The boys did get to see it before it ran under the planter pots. It was just a little one. I'm pretty sure I've seen this one before, in the same area. I think it lives in my cucumbers.




Other than that, not a whole lot happened this week. We did receive the digital versions of the boys' school photos. Thankfully, no goofy faces. 

I hope you had a lovely week and weekend!

1 comment: