Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, July 4, 2021

Year the TENTH: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Happy Independence Day, America (Update #27)

Happy Sunday! Happy Independence Day! Happy July! Happy.....something? I don't know. Let's get on with it!



FOs (Finished Objects)
1.
Greenwood Fiberworks Dark BFL (Viktor): started 28 June 2020; finished 17 January 2021
2. Boo-Yah: started 26 January 2021; finished 27 January 2021
3.
Minecraft Socks: started 12 August 2020; finished 6 March 2021
4.
Alpaca (Viktor): started 17 January 2021; finished 17 March 2021
5. Dyeing Project: started 9 April, 2021; finished 9 April 2021
6.
El Panal Cowl: started 5 April 2021; finished 29 April 2021
7.
Rose City Rollers: started 7 March 2021; finished 1 June 2021
8. Unknown Wool (Viktor): started 26 June 2021; finished 27 June 2021
9. Abstract Fibers Merino Tencel (Viktor): started 27 June 2021; finished 29 June 2021
10. Frabjous Fibers Merino Top (Viktor): started 30 June 2021; finished 2 July 2021

I may have mentioned last week that Tour de Fleece started.......yeah, I finished three spins this past week. Not surprising if I've been spinning, which I have!

First up, a mystery brown wool that I had banging around in my stash. According to the stash entry on Ravelry, I had about an ounce of this fiber (30 g). It was pretty schlubby and wanted to be spun thicker than I really wanted but here we are. I wound up with ~ 59 yds of a worsted/Aran weight yarn. The smaller skein was Andean-plied and is only ~ 9 yds. I have no idea what I'm going to do with this yarn but that's for another day.



Next up, I have a 50/50 merino tencel from Abstract Fibers. This was a delightful spin and it wanted to be spun much thinner than the above fiber.....and I thought it was slated to be a fingering weight but, it just wasn't meant to be. It also snapped when I was plying (both plies snapped) so I wound up with three skeins total. The smallest was Andean-plied and the other two were just a 2-ply. I wound up with ~ 255 yds total, which is a pretty firm DK weight.



My last finish hasn't been properly photographed yet because it's still drying but I have a photo from before I took it off the plying bobbins. I wound up with a heavy fingering weight/sport weight yarn after plying and such, ~ 357 yds, which I wasn't expecting. There's lots of barber pole action happening in this yarn but I rather like how it turned out.


And that's it for the things I finished! I'd like to think I had a productive week this past week.



WIPs (Works-in-Progress) *these are carried over year after year, as needed*
1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. UW Ski Hat: started 11 July 2018
7. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
8. Herbivore: started 15 November 2018
9. Linen Stitch Scarf: started 2 June 2020
10.
Vanilla Socks: started 9 August 2020
11. Sand Drift Blanket: started 17 January 2021
12. Flax for Stormageddon: started 29 April 2021
13. Rose City Rollers: started 1 June 2021

Because it's TdF, I've been spinning more than knitting for sure but I have done a little knitting here and there. I've worked on my Rose City Rollers and the first sleeve of Stormageddon's Flax sweater. Nothing terribly exciting. 

Like I said, I've been spinning more than knitting this past week.

 

OMGLSGWTFBBQ


Design WIPs:
1. Messed Up Moss: started March 2009 - write pattern as PDF (iterations: firstsecond)
2. Susan's Hat: started 31 August 2010 - need new prototypes & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthirdminififthsixth)
3. Little Man's Baby Blanket: started July 2010 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
4. Chunky Scarf: started 6 October 2012 - need new prototype & write pattern (iteration: here)
5. Pacific Waves Hat: started 9 March 2016 - need new prototype & write the pattern (iterations: firstsecondthird)
6. Fall in San Francisco: started 18 September 2016 - need new prototype & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
7. Stomping Grounds Collection: started 26 February 2017 - need prototypes & write patterns
8. Unnamed Hat Design: started 14 August 2017 - need various weight yarn prototypes & write pattern (iterations: firstsecond)
9. Paradiddle Socks: started 19 October 2017 - write pattern (iteration: here)

 

Design Ideas:
1. Christmas Stocking for Husband

2. Christmas Stocking for Little Man

3. Christmas Stocking for Stormageddon

4. Baby Blanket
5. Stomping Grounds Collection

 

Items for ME (Selfish Knitting FTW!):
1.
Rose's Wrist Warmers (DK weight - using Aran instead; hand-dyed Malabrigo Twist?)
2.
Perianth (fingering weight - Knitcircus Trampoline in The Whole Enchilada)
3. Stranger Things Hat (worsted - Malabrigo Rios in Archangel)
4.
Autopilot (worsted weight - Sincere Sheep Cormo Worsted or htNEVELE Worsted in Reveire)
5. Fine Tune (fingering weight - uses minis so maybe a rainbow type one with the Canon Hand Dyes?)*

6. Flax (worsted weight - Misty Alpaca in the Harry Potter colors)

7. Park Slope (fingering weight - Mountain Fibers Crazyfoot in Shamrock)
8. Undone (bulky - maybe the reclaimed yarn from the Freeport Vest?)
9. Socks (fingering weight - Bob knows I have enough so I should use it - maybe with the CSM)
10
Sockhead (fingering weight - I have tons...pick something!)
11. Age of Brass & Steam (Handspun purple/white barber pole)
12. Radiate Shawl (fingering weight - Artfibers Carezza maybe?)


Children's Items
1. Honey Badger: (worsted weight - black & white acrylic I have banging around the stash)*
2. Mittens for Stormageddon (worsted weight probably)
3. Maybe a Flax for Little Man...maybe...

 

Utilitarian/Household Items
1. Garter Chevron Blanket (KP Mighty Stitch - may need to get some more black or white)
2. Diagonal Knit Dishcloths (cotton of some sort)
3. Reusable Produce Bag (cotton or acrylic of some sort - worsted)
4. Grandma's Favorite Dishcloth (cotton or maybe bamboo, depending on the use)


Spinning:


Dyeing:
1. Sock Blanks (I think I have 5 left)
2. Random worsted/sport skeins (I have maybe 2-3 left)
3. Anything else I find along the way (I don't think there's anything else)


Other Fibery Endeavors:
1. Create project bag inventory
2. Update library inventory (on Ravelry) *in progress*
3. Update stash inventory (on Ravelry) *needs to be redone*
4. Stitch markers: kits and individual
5. Destash as necessary (it's always necessary)


Here in California, things are much the same as they have been. I've been taking the boys out to the park a little more often, they're spending far too much time on their devices (mostly the iPads but the Nintendo Switch, also), and I just don't care right now. It's summer and I'm not going to demand that they have no devices ever all summer. That's silly. 

Stormageddon has decided that he rather likes drawing, especially if he can find how-to videos of whatever it is he's looking for. His room has turned into an "art gallery" (his words). So the wall above his bed is covered, along his curtain rod, the outside door to his armoire, the closet door, and his bedroom door are all covered with drawings. He has more than those, of course, but he's running out of space.


In addition to that, we went to two parks this past week. The first was the main downtown park here in town. It's a big park and there are lots of shady spots, which is helpful. We're going there again this week when we have friends visiting from out-of-state and the daughter wants to go to that park, as well.





I have a love of that tree. It's a huge fruit tree of some sort (figs, I believe) but the root system is awesome and kids love to climb on it. I used that tree as a backdrop for photos of Little Man modeling knitwear for me. 

We also went to Magical Bridge Playground. It's an all-inclusive children's playground based on the idea that all kids deserve a place to play. It has wide sidewalks, ramps, water features, swings & merry-go-rounds that can hold wheelchairs, slides, etc. The boys were probably the oldest in the place but they still had a lot of fun. And they were so careful of the littles that were running around, which is hard when you're big and not used to your size.

  

 

As for today, it's Independence Day and we have nothing planned. I mean, it's already afternoon but our big plan is to eat food and that's about it. Nothing terribly exciting. 

 

I hope you've had a lovely week and weekend! I will likely have more spinning next week....unsurprisingly :) 

5 comments:

  1. Your son's art gallery is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Storm is sure growing up. What an artist! Gotta love when they find something creative to pursue with such interest. I think it's really cool that he puts his artwork on his walls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barber pole action in yarn sounds interesting. Your spun yarn is so even, I envy your skill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful spinning - the Tour is such a great excuse to make yarn. I think summertime for kids should be less about rules and more about fun things, so eh... devices aren't the worst things, especially if they are learning and still having time outside!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter and I are drawing along with how-to draw videos this summer, and its been so fun! I'm happy your son has decided to hang his "gallery" style; he can admire his progress.

    ReplyDelete