Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, February 11, 2024

Lucky Thirteen: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Down with the sickness! (Updates #5 and #6)

The very short version: we are sick and that's why this post is two weeks worth of updates in one. 

 

Finished Objects (FOs)
1.
Irma Hat: started 23 December 2023; finished 15 January 2024

Nothing new. Not surprising. Move along now, sir. Ma'am. Whatever.

 

Works-In-Progress (WIPs - these are carried over year after year, if needed)
1. Wink: started 5 January 2015
2. Shetland Neck Wool (support spindle): started 8 September 2017
3. Returning: started 14 January 2018
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt (EEW Mini): started 13 April 2018
5. Granny Square Blanket: started 28 April 2018
6. UW Ski Hat: started 11 July 2018
7. Purl & Loop Weaving Project: started 28 August 2018
8. Dishcloth: started 25 February 2022
9. Mixed BFL (Annie): started 18 March 2022
10. Lakeline Tank: started 18 March 2022
11. Socks: started 28 September 2022
12. Bonbon 2: started 15 October 2022
13. Star Stitch Shawl: started 8 June 2023 (link to the kit)
14. Vanilla Socks: started 7 October 2023
15. Baby Blanket: started 28 October 2023
16. Rose's Wrist Warmers: started 10 February 2024

I actually did a bit of knitting. I spent some time working on the baby blanket. At this point, I'm just knitting along and along using pink yarn. I might throw a few stripes in a long the way but for now, I'm on the main portion and just knitting along. I will say that even though making these drives me nuts, the yarn is delightfully squishy and it turns out the babies love them. So I'm good with it, even if they take up a ton of time.


 

And then we got sick and I did nothing for knitting until yesterday when I got a bug in my pants to finally start my Matchy MAL with Pardon My Stash. I'm just a few weeks late. Don't judge! 

I don't remember how I got this yarn but I feel like it came with some other preloved stash that I got from someone else. Not my normal color scheme but it's very fitting for the project. I've made these before but they were gifted in a Doctor Who swap and I always said I'd make my own someday, which apparently meant yesterday.



I also picked up some pom pom makers at Michaels the other day and finally made a pom using one of them. I'm not 100% sold on them but it's much easier than using my hand to make them. I finally made the pom for the rainbow gradient hat. I think I'll need to tie the pieces together tighter next time. It's fine for now but just for future me to remember....


OMGLSFWTFBBQ

Items for ME (FTW!)
1. Musselburgh (any weight - check pattern for details)
2. Danu Fingerless Gloves (fingering weight, possibly Koigu Painters Palette)
3. Stranger Things Hat (worsted weight, possibly Malabrigo Rios)
4.
Wilf's Hat (worsted weight, probably Psych Ward Yarns)
5. Dumbledore's Christmas Socks (fingering weight, in Opal Dumbledore)
6. Antler Mittens (worsted weight, probably Knit Picks Swish Worsted)
7. Flax (worsted weight, Misti Alpaca Worsted)
8. Park Slope (fingering weight, Mountain Colors)
9. Fili Socks (finger weight, Holiday Yarns Flock Sock that I dyed)
10. Classic Octopus Hat (worsted weight, two contrasting colors)

Children's Items/Knitting for others
1. Flax Light for Little Man (fingering weight, using the yarn I dyed for him)
2.
Pig for Earle & Duane (worsted weight, Molly Ringwald?)
3. Hippo for Sweet Girl (fingering weight, purple & pink of some sort)
4. Replacement toy for Sassy Girl (she's requested a cow so I'll need to see what I can find)
5. Hipster for Little Man & Stormageddon (DK weight, Anzula Cricket)
6. Regular Guy Beanie (Aran weight, Malabrigo Twist that I dyed)
7. Dandy Sir Cephalepod (any weight)
8. My Little Slug (worsted weight, any color)
9. Knitted Knockers (DK or worsted, neutral colors)
10. C*nt Dishcloth for Rachel (worsted weight, any color as long as it's cotton)
11. F*ck Dishcloth for Rachel (worstedweight , any color as long as it's cotton)
12. Santa Hat (worsted weight, red and white)


Utilitarian/Household Items
1.
Pop Blanket (worsted weight, preferably superwash, Knit Picks Brava set)
2. Holiday Countdown Stockings (worsted weight, bits and bobs)

Other Fibery Endeavors:
1. Stash Fit
2. Create a project bag inventory of some sort
3. Update library inventory (on Ravelry)
4. Update stash inventory (on Ravelry)
5. Stitch markers: make kits and individual sets for Etsy shop
6. Destash as necessary/needed (because I'm allergic to silk and I'm super mad about it but it is what it is...but that means the silk has to go and I'm still super mad about it......)

 

 

So I mentioned up top that we've been sick and I was not kidding. Little Man came down with it first. He had a field trip to the Overture Center in Madison on 2 February 2024, followed by a pre-scheduled orthodontist appointment that afternoon. Y'all, my 13 year old fell asleep while on his field trip (like while sitting in the theater seats)...and then he wanted his Tardis blanket in the car and fell asleep in the car for his ortho appointment. 

Queue sick child.

And then Husband and I got it. I did go to work last Monday but I was coughing and relatively miserable all day at work, followed by getting a shot Monday after work, and it just continued downhill. So much coughing and fevers and not being able to breathe...I called out sick every day this week after Monday. I'm still coughing but I'm not running the fevers like I was and I'm mostly functional. So, it looks like I'll be back to work tomorrow. ::sigh:: 

Additionally, we've had some crazy weather around here. We had thunderstorms this week, which led to the first known tornado in the state of Wisconsin in February since they started keeping records...and it wasn't far from us. We only had the thunderstorm with the rain and wind. East of here, toward my hometown and to the town where my great uncle & aunt live, they had ping-pong sized hail, as well as the tornado (actually, there were two). It was also in the mid-50s, which is extremely unusual for this time of year. Looks like Phil and Jimmy were right about that early spring business...but the temps have dropped back to a more appropriate (read "normal") level for this time of year. Regardless, climate change is a thing lest you think tornadoes in February in Wisconsin are normal occurrences, along with the 50+ temps. 

We sent the boys outside yesterday, after having spent so much time cooped up in the house, particularly Little Man. Of course, the first place they go is the huge pile of mud/dirt from the construction....

 
Speaking of construction, we have most of the electrical and plumbing work done (for now). I think next are the couple of windows and then the siding. Once that's done, I think we start working on the insulation, drywall, and painting. So, you know, we're getting there.

Now that people are feeling more normal, there have been other activities going on as well. Stormageddon has been reading to me (mostly Dog Man or Diary of a Wimpy Kid books but occasionally he's done some Cat Kid Comic Club or Captain Underpants). The boys were also playing video games together yesterday afternoon for a bit (Portal, if I remember correctly).

 




Honestly, I think that's about all that's been going on around here over these past few weeks. I'm hoping that we keep getting better and that things continue to progress in a forward manner. I hope you've all had a lovely couple of weeks and have managed to stay healthy! Hopefully I'll be back on time next Sunday......we'll see how things go.


No comments:

Post a Comment